April 22, 2012

Character Development- Self Control week

It's been a few weeks since I last blogged, but we still have been working on our character development words. While in Sedona, visiting my in-laws, the girls and I started talking about our new word- Self Control. It was tough trying to get them to sit still and talk about what it means and why it's important, while on vacation. So I had to be a little more creative and try and make it more fun to talk about. We wrote the new word on paper, while taking a break from playing outside. I then explained how self control is the ability to control impulses and reactions, and gave a couple of examples. Then we headed to the park.
On our walk, we talked a lot about how it's important to have self control of our bodies AND our minds. We talked about how we have control over our bodies and how we use them. Like, not hitting or kicking others or taking toys away, etc. They quickly caught on to what I was talking about, but I still thought it would be fun to play a little game to show how self control works. 
We played Red Light, Green Light and Simon Says once we got to the park. They had a lot of fun and we talked about it on the walk home some more. 
Self Control has been a fun one, for me, to talk about. I think it's such a hard concept for many to grasp, because it's easier to act on our emotions and desires for instant gratification rather than doing what will be best for us in the future.
The girls and I also did some role playing. I had a few scenarios written out, like somebody took your toy away from you or mom said you couldn't have a treat but you really want one, etc. And they would have to act out the correct response to the situation. They had so much fun with it! Jenna asked me to keep the cards, so we could play everyday. Carly did great, too, and got a kick out of me giving the wrong responses (just for fun) to the cards. 
We talk about Self Control every day and I already see the difference in the way they handle certain situations. Let's just hope they continue to have self control and self discipline, and grow up to become responsible and trustworthy girls!

Pic of Jenna writing out Self Control:
 I took this video a week or so after we talked about self control (and looking back on it- it looks like she needed some self control of her tongue!).


0 comments: