March 15, 2012

Perseverance

We've been stuck inside the house for the past week, trying to get over this nasty cold that has taken over us girls and let's just say that A LOT of TV has been watched. I can't stand it when the kids sit and veg in front of the television for more than 20 mins. Sure it's nice when they're quiet and content on the couch so I can get a few chores done, but there's something about the way they play after the show or movie is over. Maybe it's the princess role playing I don't like, or the bad guy- good guy play, or the crazy energy that needs to be released because they just sat for a long period of time. I don't know, but I do know that 5 days of too much TV has gotten to me! Yesterday, my wonderful husband took the day off of work to help out with the kids and the house so I could rest and get better. As I rested in bed, all I could think about was how I want to have a NO TV week and do something better and more meaningful with our time. I came up with a few ideas and am super excited to start!
Here's what I plan to do... I want to start being my kids' teacher. I know I am already their 'teacher' in many ways, but I want to be more intentional about it. I want to have a plan, a lesson plan, where we have 'school' everyday and learn things together as a family. I've always admired mom's who home school their kids, so I figured why not give it a try now and see where it goes.
I first want to start with character development. I got some great ideas from http://www.meaningfulmama.com/. I plan on teaching them a new trait every week. We'll read books, do crafts, learn what the trait means to our family and how we can use them in our everyday lives. I'm excited and I plan on starting our 'school' time next week!
The word I'm going to start with first is PERSEVERANCE. For those of you who know me well, probably know that I have a hard time committing to a project or finishing anything crafty or something that takes a lot of effort... so this word will hopefully be a great start to our character development schooling!

0 comments: